Forms & Documents
Health & News
10 questions you should ask before a dental cleaning
May 16, 2017
10 Questions you should your ask your vet before anesthesia
Lila wants to remind you when going outside to ALWAYS be armed with heartworm/flea/tick prevention...and SUNGLASSES!
10 Questions you should ask your veterinarian BEFORE anesthesia
1. Does the veterinarian perform a pre-anesthetic exam prior to
administering ANY medications?
2. Do you tailor an anesthetic protocol to every specific patient or do you
simply use a formula to determine how much medication to administer
3. Do you place an IV catheter in EVERY patient to ensure quick access to
the cardiovascular system in the event of an emergency and provide
adequate fluid therapy during the procedure? Proper hydration is
essential for a quick and safe recovery from anesthesia.
4. What monitoring equipment is used during the anesthetic procedure:
pulse-oximetry (oxygen saturation of blood), blood pressure monitoring,
ECG monitoring (to evaluate cardiac activity), core body temperature,
5. Do you monitor for ETCO2 changes (capnography): an often overlooked
but extremely important parameter that determines how well a patient is
breathing and exchanging gases within the lungs.
6. Is an anesthetic log created with documentation every 5 minutes for
monitoring of anesthesia and included in the patient’s medical record for
accountability and evaluation? This is to be completed by a trained
surgical technician during every procedure.
7. Is the patient ALWAYS monitored by someone other than the
veterinarian throughout the entire procedure until the patient is extubated
8. Are multiple surgeries performed with the same surgical instruments
creating a potential for cross-contamination and decreasing sterility?
9. Are individually wrapped suture and surgical gloves used for EVERY
10. Is the veterinarian available by phone and/or in person after-hours for
ANY questions or concerns you might have during the evening and night
of the procedure?
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!
May 2017 (3)